Dear GT Families,
Mililani Waena’s gifted and talented program is designed to promote innovation, talent development, and creative problem-solving in students. Students engage in a variety of challenging learning activities that inspire them to push beyond their current capabilities. This year, our gifted and talented curricular focus will address our school theme of Empowered Citizens. Our motto will be “Empowering the world with our magic within” As a result, students will wrestle with our essential question of: How can we change the world from the magic we have within? Here are examples of how students will demonstrate their understanding of the school theme and motto:
Semester 1 - Changing the world to make a difference
- Invent and market a product that solves a problem one encounters in daily life
- Craft a business plan that describes the rationale for the solution
- Understand money management and business ethics
- Engage in the writing and oral communication process to communicate research findings
Semester 2 - Understanding our world to make a difference
- Build reader stamina by tackling longer works of fiction texts and provide a forum to reflect on events that emerge from the books.
- Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources.
- Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.
- Draw evidence from literary and informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
In Semester 2, we will continue our book clubs to build reader stamina by tackling longer works of fiction texts and provide a forum to reflect on events that emerge from the books.
We look forward to an engaging and challenging adventure for this school year. If you have any questions, please contact the GT instructor at [email protected]